Like many of his officers, General George Washington spent the winter of 1777/78 in one of the many houses near the encampment. Built for Isaac Potts in 1773, it was occupied by his aunt, Deborah Hewes, when the army arrived. After subletting the house from Hewes, Washington moved in and established his headquarters. Conducting business on the first floor, he was later joined in the house by his wife Martha. The Potts House is located in the northwest corner of the encampment near the confluence of Valley Creek and the Schuylkill River.