October 30, 1941 - Pres. Franklin Roosevelt (right) approves $1 billion in Lend-Lease Aid to the Allies. One in series of acts designed to allow the neutral United States to provide military aid to the Allies during World War II, Lend-Lease gave Roosevelt the power to loan, sell, or lease military materials to the Allies with the understanding that they would be eventually paid for or returned. Continuing after Pearl Harbor, Lend-Lease proved a vital program for winning the war and transferred over $50.1 billion in materials to the Allies. These included some frontline weapons, but largely consisted of consumables such as munitions and food as well as logistical support in the form of trucks, locomotives, and transport aircraft. Discontinued at war's end, Britain later brokered a loan to retain much of its Lend-Lease equipment at a reduced rate.
Photograph Courtesy of the Library of Congress