May 10, 1775 - Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys capture Fort Ticonderoga (right). Built between 1755 and 1758 by the French, Fort Ticonderoga was originally known as Fort Carillon. Attacked in 1758, by British forces under Maj. Gen. James Abercrombie, the fort was successfully defended by the Marquis de Montcalm. A second assault the following year, this time led by Gen. Jeffrey Amherst, managed to take the fort and it passed into British hands. Though viewed as a stronghold, it became a quiet backwater as the fighting moved north. Lightly garrisoned after the war, it was captured in the early days of the American Revolution by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold. An American base for two years, Fort Ticonderoga served as the jumping off point for the invasion of Canada and its guns were transported to Boston in early 1776 where they helped force the British from the city. Retaken by the British in 1777, they abandoned it after their defeat at Saratoga that fall. Never again possessing strategic significance, the fort fell into disrepair for the remainder of the war. Restored in the early 20th century, it is currently open as an attraction and museum.
Photograph Source: Public Domain