1. Education

May 10-20, 1969 - US troops capture Hill 937, a.k.a. Hamburger Hill, after a prolonged battle. Advancing into the A Shau Valley as part of Operation Apache Snow in May 1969, US troops encountered strong resistance from the People's Army of North Vietnam. Occupying Hill 937, the North Vietnamese constructed an elaborate system of bunkers and strong points. Utilizing the thick jungle, they were able to move without being spotted by US aircraft. Encountering PAVN troops on Hill 937, the 3rd Battalion of the 187th Infantry opened the battle. Engaging the enemy, the 3/187 was met with determined fire and was unable to maneuver around the North Vietnamese forces due to the severe terrain. The situation was made worse by when US gunships fired on their position by accident. This friendly fire incident was the first of several that occurred during the battle. On May 13, the 3/187 was reinforced and Hill 937 became the focus of American efforts in the valley. Over the next week, US troops fought a brutal battle up the hill before finally capturing it on May 20. Due to the severity of the fighting, Hill 937 was dubbed "Hamburger Hill." Covered extensively by the press, who questioned its necessity, the battle was the last major American assault of the war.

Comments

May 22, 2009 at 1:09 pm
(1) thankful says:

Thank you Kennedy for posting this and the all the rest of the information on Military History.
Thanks to those who did not return from Hill 937 and to those who did.
My dad is a Vietnam Vet and I’m proud of his service and thankful to all Vietnam Vets (and Veterans in general) who didn’t receive much of a welcome home from ’66-72

May 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm
(2) almo says:

this is a very sad piece cuz my uncle served in the war. he made it back with no injuries or wounds. I love this war i find it very interesting. THanks to all those who faught in the war before i was born i dont know how the world would be today.

September 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm
(3) Jimmy Pace says:

Was there in 70-71. Served with B Troop 1/1 Cav. and Co B 123rd AVN BN. Glad to have served with these great men. It is said that you will not understand it all unless you were there. Lost a lot of friends and brothers in arms. The men who fought there did not lose the war. Our country pulled out and gave back every blood soar inch of hollow ground. I stand proud these days knowing I served with just cause. Freedom is brought and paid with blood. Would like to say welcome home brothers. Warlord Tiny

July 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm
(4) Fran Scott says:

I wish I could contact anyone who survived the battle on Hamburger Hill in Viet Nam during May 10 – 20, 1969. My high school sweetheart was killed during this battle. In 1968, he had asked me to marry him; I declined (I don”t know why to this day because I loved him dearly), then he married someone else whom I learned, after the fact, that he had impregnated. He had written me a letter prior to the battle, indicating that he he felt trapped and hoped we could get back together one day. At first, I hesitated to respond due to his newly marital status (and because I was a bit angry at him, feeling he should have waited and asked me again; this was youthful immaturity at work!). By the time I answered, it was too late. He was killed on Hamburger! All the years later, the pain has never left me.day!

February 17, 2012 at 11:39 am
(5) Roy Bartlett says:

Fran Scott, I was there and I survived. Tell me your honey’s name and I will tell you if I knew him. I served with the 3rd 187 Airborne (Raccasans) I was in Bravo company. email me I would be glad to talk to you. roywbartlettjr@aol.com.

God Bless

March 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm
(6) M. Rich says:

Fran – There were many of us who made committments that we were not mature enough to keep. I proposed to an absolutely beautiful young woman before I went into the Army. When I was in – and thousands of miles away – I didn’t know how to handle the pressure of the committment. Finally, she broke off our engagement, feeling that I had abandoned her. She was right. I had other things that just seemed more important than the “girl back home”. I wasn’t fair to her, I didn’t treat her right – but I was very, very concerned with my own “here and now”.
I made it back, after one and a half years in the jungle. I have some interesting scars and an unbelievable number of wild and crazy stories – some of which are true! I regret the pain that I caused that young lady. She deserved much, much, more than I gave her. But I don’t regret our failure to complete our relationship.
If I had married her before I left for Nam, I would have returned as “damaged goods”, both physically and mentally. It took me years to reach the point where I was “civil” and “safe” around people. And, most importantly, I reached that stage by meeting a woman who could deal with my craziness. She helped to heal me – and correct me – and direct me – when I was at my most vulnerable and dangerous. My first fiancee would not have been able to do so.
We have now been married 39 years – 40 in 4 months. I love her more now than I did 40 years ago.
I have nothing to offer you in place of your loss. But, please keep in mind, the contact with you was a pleasant place for him – when there were not very many pleasant places. He obviously loved you – regardless of other relationships. I am sure that, at the end, he was thinking of you lovingly.